View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Darcey Anne

Registration date : 2014-12-29

Character sheet
My mood is....:

PostSewing, A Lost Art?!

Hi All!!

I don't know if sewing is a lost art, but I don't know too many people who sew. I learned how to sew in junior high.  At first we made a sewn by hand stuffed animal.  I made a panda out of 8 circles of various sizes.  It had 2 large circles for the head and body, along with 6 small circles for the ears and paws.  It took me no time at all because it was fun and also because I was very focused.

I made my 8th grade graduation dress and my high school graduation dress.  In between making those dresses, I learned how to make other things.  I learned how to knit, do cross stitch, latch hook which I did for the most part without aid of a pattern.  I have made other craft projects as well.  I like to reuse something bought for one purpose to make it useful for something else once its original purpose is done with.  It is very easy to make a sweater from a sweatshirt, a pencil holder from a juice can and convert empty glitter containers into pushpin and paperclip holders.
     Recently in shopping at thrift store I purchased some fabric.  One of the fabrics was a pastel fabric.  I cut it into 12 squares 18 x 18 inches.  My friend Marian and I sewed the unsewn edges.  In doing this we turned these into 12 napkins.  These will be going to the JD Potluck Remembrance Day in upstate NY. 

Once I completed all of the sewing projects in my junior high sewing class I was promoted to the cooking class with one student ..ME!!  This of course lead to my adventures in cooking and baking!!

These are the napkins Marian and I sewed together.  7-7-17
" />
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Sewing, A Lost Art?! :: Comments

Re: Sewing, A Lost Art?!
Post on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:39 am by ctrr03
I sew on occasion so definitely not totally dead
Post on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:32 am by Darcey Anne
Hi All!!

....Since the Spring, Marian and I have made several dresses for her daughter Rahema.  All of the material was purchased at thrift stores.   Rae likes long dresses which I found out about when we bought her a plaid dress that was long and I went to shorten it and she told me not to bother.  All good by me. 

....Marian made a skirt and a shirt in matching fabric.  We started to sew one day.  Rae asked us if we were making another skirt and shirt.  We told her it would be a dress when all was said and done. She thought we lost our minds, but we had fabric left over that would not make an entire dress so we used it to make the top and other fabric to make the bottom.

....After we finished the several dresses we started, her friends asked us when we could make them one as well.  That was something!  We became cool people all because we can sew.   Wink Before I would make a dress for someone else's child I would need to ask mom if that was okay.

~DarceyAnne~

Last edited by Darcey Anne on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Post on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:36 am by Darcey Anne
Glad to know other people sew as well.  

~DarceyAnne~

Last edited by Darcey Anne on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Post on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:45 am by Darcey Anne
This is one of the dresses we made Rae.  We used a dress she already had to make the pattern for this one.  

This is a shirt and skirt with a pink belt.  

~DarceyAnne~

Post on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:44 am by clouddancer
You're the granddaughter my Grandmother always wanted!!!  You sew beautifully...I can't sew on a machine to save my life...but hand work...I got that hands down...I love to put in hems...
Post on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:00 am by ctrr03
I hate heming.  Ibtried teaching Andrea to sew.  Lodt cause.  Now I,m working with the girls to crochet.
Post on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:55 pm by Darcey Anne
Hi All,

I find sewing relaxing and fun.  I don't do it all the time and maybe that is why I like it so much.  This dress was made from two different fabrics..  Marian sewed the skirt portion first.  Then she did the shirt portion before attaching it to the skirt. ~Darcey~

Post on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:58 pm by Darcey Anne
Here is another dress we did.  The fabric has small roses on it.  All of these dresses and shirts are made so they can slip over Rae's head.  In this way we didn't need to put in zippers or buttons.  The skirt was made using elastic.  ~Darcey~

Post on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:46 am by clouddancer
Cute!!!
Post  by Sponsored content

Sewing, A Lost Art?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Island :: Blogs :: Darcey's Place-
Jump to: